47 replies to this topic

Mack

Mack

Dedicated Member

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Car:EK3
Ok so im doing my final year project at college on how to reduce turbo lag or how to get rid of it all completely. So I have completed the project and now just putting it all together and realised my research section is a little slack so im going to add a small section with emails to companies and asking forums etc. So if you do comment on this topic it may be quoted in my final project or a presentation stating other peoples opinions. If you could keep it topic relevent that would be great thanks.

So the question is does anyone know how to reduce or get rid of turbo lag?

Alex

Alex

Lord Al of Troll

• Long Term Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,574 posts
  • Car:Facelift NHB EP3
Purplecivicturbo will get you an A*.

Edited by Alex, 17 May 2012 - 10:20 AM.

insectod4.gif

XBOX LIVE: Porygon Y

sennz

sennz

CivicLife Regular

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Car:K20 EG4
Drive at X speed.

Press brake pedal, and balance out with throttle so you are still going the same speed. ZOOM INSTA BOOST.

K24 EG4 Build.

.Reidy Racing.

TorqueCivic

TorqueCivic

CivicLife Regular

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Car:Thunder Grey ej9

Purplecivicturbo will get you an A*.

Couldn't even tow that across the finish line.

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

Making shit cars go fast

• Registered Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts
  • Car:EJ9 Time Attack B19 Turbo
it really depends on what turbo, the smaller the turbo is the less "lag" or spool up time you will have. If youre talking about specifics, say how to reduce lag in a lrger frame turbo setup then you can adopt several approaches.

1) Keep pipework as short as possible
2) Use a solenoid based boost controller to keep the wastegate shut for the longest possible time before peak boost is achieved.
3) Pay attention to exhaust maniflold design, so exhaust pulses arrive in perfect time
4) use nitrous injection to aid spool

Otherwise, as I said in the first bit, to reduce lag, use the smallest turbo possible to achieve the power goal.

Turbo designs have improved massively in the last few years, using lighter components, ball bearing cores etc.

Currently the quickest spooling units will be a ball bearing, billet wheeled turbo. The Billet wheels are lighter so take less effort to spin and the ball bearing cores spin free-er that a journal bearing unit.

Time Attack 2014!! (Currently 3rd in championship after 5 rounds)

Come and like my page! - https://www.facebook...eilWrennTACivic

NWR Turbo Kits - £1600 Supplied and fitted!! http://neilwrenn.wix.com/nwracing

DPI fuel injectors 550cc-2200cc - Contact me for prices!

nwrlogo_zps43dff5a7.jpg

kyleb

kyleb

CivicLife Regular

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Car:Flush shitbox
Compound charging.
Posted Image

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

Making shit cars go fast

• Registered Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts
  • Car:EJ9 Time Attack B19 Turbo
what you have to remember is though, what you improve in one end of the rev range will untimately cost you at the other end.

You can have a diddy turbo that you don't even notice spool up, but it will be dead by 5000rpm, OR you can have a large turbo that doesnt spool up much before 5000 that will pull harder and harder until the redline...Very rarely can you achieve a good balance of both for all situations.

Time Attack 2014!! (Currently 3rd in championship after 5 rounds)

Come and like my page! - https://www.facebook...eilWrennTACivic

NWR Turbo Kits - £1600 Supplied and fitted!! http://neilwrenn.wix.com/nwracing

DPI fuel injectors 550cc-2200cc - Contact me for prices!

nwrlogo_zps43dff5a7.jpg

Stu.

Stu.

High & Fast.

• Long Term Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts
Anti-lag?

sig3.jpg

El cid

El cid

CivicLife Regular

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Car:People up the wall
Like porsche do, with variable angle on the turbo vanes meaning you can run a larger turbo but they get automatically angled to give instant boost. Or as kyleb said, compound charging.

If your after different solutions, then I guess one way would be to attach an electric motor to the turbo that operates between zero revs to whenever the turbo comes in, so its instant power until the engine revs produce enough exhaust gases to take over? (I don't mean those little egay turbos either)
Theres no point trying to argue with fools and idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Must be hipster, because I liked supertroopers before the "mother of god" meme was all popular.

Automatic d15z6 turbo (due to a shattered leg) trackcar, the lazy way to go fast.

Mr Scott

Mr Scott

Aiming for 11's n/a

• Long Term Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts
  • Car:High Comp B20 EG

Anti-lag?

^^^ this it has already beeen sorted :)

UK's fastest n/a fwd B series on road tyres 218bhp 170ftlb's 12.61 @ 111mph
Now aiming to be the 1st n/a B series in the uk in the 11's
Have You Been Up The Strip Then Add Your Slip
http://www.civiclife...2-14mile-table/

Smiley

Smiley

Captain Britain

• Administrators
  • 15,110 posts
  • Car:the missus's rolls
Drop some fuel in the manifold when off throttle, when it hits the blades at heat, it will ignite and spool the fucker.

So when you go back on the throttle, it's still got loads of boost!
Has replied to 282 4x100 thread 401times now and counting. Plus I made a sticky. So don't say you searched and couldn't find anything. Lazy fucker!

1.jpg

Mack

Mack

Dedicated Member

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok cheers guys, looks like I need to expand a little more on my project. When I get home Ill tell you my solutions to the problem with descriptions etc and ask you guys to evaluate them if they would work or not, or any problems etc.

ste91

ste91

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
Pretty much all modern diesel engine have VNT's, same as the Porsche thing mentioned above. Might be worth researching VNT turbos a bit. :)

Edited by ste91, 17 May 2012 - 11:20 AM.

Kozy

Kozy

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • Car:2002 NHB ATR
Are you honestly going to quote posts from a forum in your final project?!

Signature480X170_zps99599c49.jpg

Mack

Mack

Dedicated Member

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Obviously not all the qoutes but I feel it would be good to include a section of what others think of my project and how it could of been done differently. Why do you think it's a bad idea?

ste91

ste91

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Obviously not all the qoutes but I feel it would be good to include a section of what others think of my project and how it could of been done differently. Why do you think it's a bad idea?

Do your own homework kid! LOL jk ;)

Mack

Mack

Dedicated Member

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Rite that's it! Mods delete this topic, I'm gunna go sell my civic and get myself a Saxo.

Kozy

Kozy

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • Car:2002 NHB ATR
WTF? Chill out dick'ead.

Asking for opinions on forums does not qualify as reseach. I did this stuff a few years ago and I would have got torn a new one come results day if any of my work was quoted from Wikipedia, let alone a bunch of faceless members on a forum.

It might hold more weight if you went to a technical forum like Eng-Tips.com where the member base is largely made up of qualified engineers, but even then I would be wary.

FWIW, I scored 96% on my final. ;)

Edited by Kozy, 17 May 2012 - 12:15 PM.

Signature480X170_zps99599c49.jpg

Mack

Mack

Dedicated Member

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

WTF? Chill out dick'ead.

Asking for opinions on forums does not qualify as reseach. I did this stuff a few years ago and I would have got torn a new one come results day if any of my work was quoted from Wikipedia, let alone a bunch of faceless members on a forum.

It might hold more weight if you went to a technical forum like Eng-Tips.com but even then I would be wary.

FWIW, I scored 96% on my final. http://www.civiclife.net/board/public/st...

Ok.?.?

Well I just assumed a forum devoted to cars might have a tiny little bit of knowledge on the subject, which they did..
I mean I wanted a viewers perspective on if my solutions would of worked on a turbo application, I didnt want help with my project but yer 96% on your final so you must be spot on. This isn't for uni, only national diploma.

Dick'ead

jay_typer

jay_typer

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Car:98 ITR
If I were you, if you haven't done so already I would look closely at VW 1.8T engine. Only for the boost pipe sequence and diverting system as they run diverter valves not blow off valves. Even at high boost when modified. Diverter valves do reduce turbo lag. Find some in depth explanation of that system and it should give you some ideas

Edited by jay_typer, 17 May 2012 - 12:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users