Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to reduce or get rid of turbo lag? For engineering project

48 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Ok so im doing my final year project at college on how to reduce turbo lag or how to get rid of it all completely. So i have completed the project and now just putting it all together and realised my research section is a little slack so im going to add a small section with emails to companies and asking forums etc. So if you do comment on this topic it may be quoted in my final project or a presentation stating other peoples opinions. If you could keep it topic relevent that would be great thanks.

So the question is does anyone know how to reduce or get rid of turbo lag?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Purplecivicturbo will get you an A*. Edited by Alex
4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Drive at X speed.

Press brake pedal, and balance out with throttle so you are still going the same speed. ZOOM INSTA BOOST.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Alex' timestamp='1337249702' post='1555663']
Purplecivicturbo will get you an A*.
[/quote]

Posted · Report post

it really depends on what turbo, the smaller the turbo is the less "lag" or spool up time you will have. If youre talking about specifics, say how to reduce lag in a lrger frame turbo setup then you can adopt several approaches.

1) Keep pipework as short as possible
2) Use a solenoid based boost controller to keep the wastegate shut for the longest possible time before peak boost is achieved.
3) Pay attention to exhaust maniflold design, so exhaust pulses arrive in perfect time
4) use nitrous injection to aid spool

Otherwise, as i said in the first bit, to reduce lag, use the smallest turbo possible to achieve the power goal.

Turbo designs have improved massively in the last few years, using lighter components, ball bearing cores etc.

Currently the quickest spooling units will be a ball bearing, billet wheeled turbo. The Billet wheels are lighter so take less effort to spin and the ball bearing cores spin free-er that a journal bearing unit.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Compound charging.

Posted · Report post

what you have to remember is though, what you improve in one end of the rev range will untimately cost you at the other end.

You can have a diddy turbo that you dont even notice spool up, but it will be dead by 5000rpm, OR you can have a large turbo that doesnt spool up much before 5000 that will pull harder and harder until the redline...Very rarely can you achieve a good balance of both for all situations.

Posted · Report post

Anti-lag?

Posted · Report post

Like porsche do, with variable angle on the turbo vanes meaning you can run a larger turbo but they get automatically angled to give instant boost. Or as kyleb said, compound charging.

If your after different solutions, then I guess one way would be to attach an electric motor to the turbo that operates between zero revs to whenever the turbo comes in, so its instant power until the engine revs produce enough exhaust gases to take over? (I don't mean those little egay turbos either)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Stu.' timestamp='1337250638' post='1555694']
Anti-lag?
[/quote]

^^^ this it has already beeen sorted :)

Posted · Report post

Drop some fuel in the manifold when off throttle, when it hits the blades at heat, it will ignite and spool the fucker.

So when you go back on the throttle, it's still got loads of boost!
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Ok cheers guys, looks like I need to expand a little more on my project. When I get home Ill tell you my solutions to the problem with descriptions etc and ask you guys to evaluate them if they would work or not, or any problems etc.

Pretty much all modern diesel engine have VNT's, same as the Porsche thing mentioned above. Might be worth researching VNT turbos a bit. :) Edited by ste91

Posted · Report post

Are you honestly going to quote posts from a forum in your final project?!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kozy' timestamp='1337253748' post='1555766']
[/quote]

Obviously not all the qoutes but I feel it would be good to include a section of what others think of my project and how it could of been done differently. Why do you think it's a bad idea?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mack' timestamp='1337254622' post='1555785']
[quote name='Kozy' timestamp='1337253748' post='1555766']
[/quote]

Obviously not all the qoutes but I feel it would be good to include a section of what others think of my project and how it could of been done differently. Why do you think it's a bad idea?
[/quote]

Do your own homework kid! LOL jk ;)

Posted · Report post

Rite that's it! Mods delete this topic, I'm gunna go sell my civic and get myself a Saxo.
1 person likes this

WTF? Chill out dick'ead.

Asking for opinions on forums does not qualify as reseach. I did this stuff a few years ago and I would have got torn a new one come results day if any of my work was quoted from Wikipedia, let alone a bunch of faceless members on a forum.

It [i]might[/i] hold more weight if you went to a technical forum like Eng-Tips.com where the member base is largely made up of qualified engineers, but even then I would be wary.

FWIW, I scored 96% on my final. ;) Edited by Kozy

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kozy' timestamp='1337256467' post='1555818']
WTF? Chill out dick'ead.

Asking for opinions on forums does not qualify as reseach. I did this stuff a few years ago and I would have got torn a new one come results day if any of my work was quoted from Wikipedia, let alone a bunch of faceless members on a forum.

It [i]might[/i] hold more weight if you went to a technical forum like Eng-Tips.com but even then I would be wary.

FWIW, I scored 96% on my final. ;)
[/quote]

Ok.?.?

Well i just assumed a forum devoted to cars might have a tiny little bit of knowledge on the subject, which they did..
I mean i wanted a viewers perspective on if my solutions would of worked on a turbo application, i didnt want help with my project but yer 96% on your final so you must be spot on. This isn't for uni, only national diploma.

Dick'ead

If I were you, if you haven't done so already I would look closely at VW 1.8T engine. Only for the boost pipe sequence and diverting system as they run diverter valves not blow off valves. Even at high boost when modified. Diverter valves do reduce turbo lag. Find some in depth explanation of that system and it should give you some ideas Edited by jay_typer

[quote name='Mack' timestamp='1337257244' post='1555830']
[quote name='Kozy' timestamp='1337256467' post='1555818']
WTF? Chill out dick'ead.

It [i]might[/i] hold more weight if you went to a technical forum like Eng-Tips.com but even then I would be wary.

FWIW, I scored 96% on my final. ;)
[/quote]

Ok.?.?

Well i just assumed a forum devoted to cars might have a tiny little bit of knowledge on the subject, which they did..
I mean i wanted a viewers perspective on if my solutions would of worked on a turbo application, i didnt want help with my project but yer 96% on your final so you must be spot on. This isn't for uni, only national diploma.

Dick'ead
[/quote]

Mine was only for a HND. There's plenty of knowledge here but nothing I would ever quote on a written project, it's just not the done thing. From companies, published books/journals etc fine, but from free/open media or whatever forums/wiki's are classed as it is a big no-no.

I was only trying to help by pointing out what the tutors are expecting to see, but if you want to quote from CL then that's your prerogative. Edited by Kozy

Posted · Report post

Guys please don't stop posting because of what I've said, there's nothing wrong with asking and getting advice on forums and there's plenty of knowledge here, I was just pointing out that referencing from a forum was a bad idea.

Posted · Report post

Supercharger and a Turbo, Supercharger for the low RPM then when the bigger turbo spools up enough the Supercharger cuts off reducing any drag on the engine itself.

I learnt a lot from Jonny Milners Celica GT4, he was making 700bhp by 5700RPM using a Garret GT35/42 and a modified Rotrex supercharger plus a lot more but its mighty impressive.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='R11CH' timestamp='1337285099' post='1556344']
Supercharger and a Turbo, Supercharger for the low RPM then when the bigger turbo spools up enough the Supercharger cuts off reducing any drag on the engine itself.
[/quote]

You seen that twinchargrd GT86 on PH? Awesome sauce...
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Send us a link to your project I really fancy a read of your ideas.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0