- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

marc_l

marc_l

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Car:EJ9
Hi there, I've been slowly building up my ej9. It currently has a D16z6 in the engine bay, everything if all plumbed in, ready to go except for my wiring.

I have no problems soldering, I have no problems following wiring diagrams but im unsure as where in heading with it at this moment as I don't really know too much about different years and looms of civics etc.

I have my P28 ecu, I'll be getting a obd2a-obd1 conversion harness.

Now is all I need a pre-facelift obd2a ek3 engine loom?
Will this plug into everything on the D16Z6 engine? I know the injector clips are different but my main concern is the dizzy connection?

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

jayp

jayp

Dedicated Member

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Car:cosmic ep3
im not certain on the en3 loom but you will need to change the single 10 pin distributor connector for the 2 obd1 connectors, either get an adapter from rywire or cut and wire it yourself, pay no attention to colours when you wire in the new plugs, just connect the wires to the same locations if you get me.

Originally Posted by Frolic
EK owners, wrecking forums since 2005

marc_l

marc_l

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Car:EJ9
Thanks for the post.

I've been doing a bit more research and im pretty certain I need a engine harness from a Vtec EK car so that my conversion harness matches up and so that I have the 10pin dizzy plug to rewire, at the moment I have plugged my original non-vtec D14 engine loom into my D16Z6 and some of the wires are missing and the ecu connectors are incorrect for my conversion harness.

I'll post up once I get a hold of a EK Vtec engine harness!

In meantime, if anyone can confirm this it would be helpful :)

Thanks.

ali-d1936

ali-d1936

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Car:98 1.4 hatch
any luck with this? im looking to drop a D16z6 into my ej9 d14a4 (thought id post here than start a new thread I know there is like 3 open ATM), no one I know is willing to do the swap so im left to do it myself, iv a obd1 ecu with crome pro chip, what I cant understand is if I get the d16z6 loom, hook it upto the engine to the ecu (but where do I go from here), I shouldnt have to join wires for diffrent plugs should I, id really like to do this myself but I cant find anything searching google, and iv PM a few people but havent got anything back, really looking for some help, not just a do this, do this, and do this, but more of a you will need to do this because... ya get me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Project Frosty Build up <<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Arf4n

Arf4n

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
I have a whole obd2a loom converted to obd1 for sale, so its plug and play for a d16z6 in a obd2a car

was running a z6 for months with no problem, if your interested PM me :)

Edited by Arf4n, 26 May 2010 - 12:06 PM.

Posted Image

ali-d1936

ali-d1936

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
Can I just ask with that you obvyously have to use the obd2a ecu?

Edited by ali-d1936, 26 May 2010 - 03:57 PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kipper

kipper

CivicLife Regular

• Long Term Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • Car:Yellow Facelift SiR EK + Red 1,0 LUPO
I have also been looking into this aswell and I'm honestly while confused about the whole thing lol.

It's the interior loom I'm not sure what to do with?

Do I need something like one of these?

http://www.xenocron....obd1-p-127.html

Sorry for the n00b questions.

ali-d1936

ali-d1936

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
the way I thought it woud be is take everything out of my 1.4 engine loom ecu etc..., stick in the D16z6 plug back in the d16z6 loom to the engine back into the p28 ecu, and swap the pins from the interior loom into a obd1 socket, pug it in and bob is your uncle, but apparently a ej engine loom wont work in a ek civic,

"Because the '97 harness is 1 piece (from the engine to the ecu) and the '92-'95's have a 2 piece (engine to shock tower mount plugs, shock tower mount plugs to the ecu)"

im not too sure about the final two digets on a engine code, but could I assume seeing as d16z6 is obd1, and d15z6 is obd2 could the engine components be the same, as in would the plugs on the altanator and distrubitor be the same on both engines? there for a d15z6 loom plug up to a d16z6, than just use a obd1-obd2 conversion harness and use the d16z6 ecu? shurly its not that simple! id love for someone who has done the swap to chime in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kipper

kipper

CivicLife Regular

• Long Term Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • Car:Yellow Facelift SiR EK + Red 1,0 LUPO

the way I thought it woud be is take everything out of my 1.4 engine loom ecu etc..., stick in the D16z6 plug back in the d16z6 loom to the engine back into the p28 ecu, and swap the pins from the interior loom into a obd1 socket, pug it in and bob is your uncle, but apparently a ej engine loom wont work in a ek civic,

"Because the '97 harness is 1 piece (from the engine to the ecu) and the '92-'95's have a 2 piece (engine to shock tower mount plugs, shock tower mount plugs to the ecu)"

im not too sure about the final two digets on a engine code, but could I assume seeing as d16z6 is obd1, and d15z6 is obd2 could the engine components be the same, as in would the plugs on the altanator and distrubitor be the same on both engines? there for a d15z6 loom plug up to a d16z6, than just use a obd1-obd2 conversion harness and use the d16z6 ecu? shurly its not that simple! id love for someone who has done the swap to chime in!

I honestly don't know, we need someone to reply who has done this swap, I've been doing a fair bit of research and realized, I will need a D15z6 engine loom as you stated, so if I change the engine loom to this, plug in the 16Z6 to the new engine loom, and run a obd2a-obd1 conversion harness to run the new ecu right? What about interior loom etc..? Sorry Im kind of a noob at this lol.

Everything mechanical seems straight foward enough, freakin' wiring confuses me.

**IF YOU HAVE DONE THIS SWAP PLEASE REPLY lol

bmxerjack

bmxerjack

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I'm going to be doing this conversion and I don't have a clue about the wiring

civic_eg_wide

civic_eg_wide

• Established Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
if u need help or it done for u ask for my number its just long typing all the info

bmxerjack

bmxerjack

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
thanks im doin the same swap but my car is a ej9 98 does it make much difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users